Why I Won't Settle

My dad is a mad scientist.  He loves science like I love music and even though they're on opposite ends of the spectrum, I can understand a love that strong for anything.  When my parents graduated college the economy was about as bad as it is right now and the job prospects were, well, non-existent.  My dad, like myself, had a specific degree with a specific field in mind.  You don't go through 4 years of college to take just any job.  The problem with knowing exactly what you want to do (unlike most of the world) is that there's little room for improvising.  


People keep asking me why can't I just take any old job while I look for what I really want.  I refuse to do this and no one understands this except, of course, my dad.  When he graduated college, he was married to my mom and unemployed.  People asked him the same thing.  Why can't you just get any job while you look?  And he refused.  He knew that by taking whatever job came his way, even if it wasn't what he wanted to do, he would never do what he was setting out to do.  He held out for a long time, waiting for the right job, and while everyone shook their heads in dismay, he kept looking.  Because he knew no matter how long it took, he wasn't going to get to age 50 without ever having a job, the odds are just never that bad.

And that's where I'm at right now.  No, I will not go temp for a car rental place or assist a CEO who wants me to cook and do her laundry because I didn't bust my ass for 5 years learning about the music industry to do those things.  I'm not settling.

0 comments:


 

Photobucket

Original Blogger Template | Modified by Blogger-Whore | Distributed by eBlog Templates