I Give Up

I'm angry.
Get this: According to a survey from National Association of Colleges and Employers, the class of 2009 is leaving campus with fewer jobs in hand than their 2008 counterparts. The group's 2009 Student Survey found that just 19.7 percent of 2009 graduates who applied for a job actually have one. In comparison, 51 percent of those graduating in 2007 and 26 percent of those graduating in 2008 who had applied for a job had one in hand by the time of graduation.
Here's another one. A job listing for Sony yielded FIVE THOUSAND resumes. FIVE thousand.
And this. Almost 2 million college graduates are unemployed and a recent survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers predicts companies will hire 22 percent fewer graduating seniors than they did last year.
I was feeling humble this morning so I googled things like what a recent college graduate should do to increase their chances in the job market. Guess what? I've done it all. Intern, network, high GPA, go to your school's career center, rewrite your resume. Let's get real, this is all a bunch of crap some guy sitting comfortably at his job is feeding you because maybe that's how he got his job (you know, before the recession).
I interned for 8 different jobs. I network. I graduated from a top 100 university with honors. I went to the career center while I was still in school. I've revised and rewritten my resume. And it's gotten me nowhere. In the 6 months since graduating, I've had two interviews. I've probably applied for somewhere between 50 and 100 jobs. And all I hear out of anybody's mouth is "You'll be fine. You interned." No I won't, because I'm still sitting here unemployed, aren't I? If I don't hear that, I hear, "The music industry is a tough place to break into. Maybe you're setting your sights too high. Why don't you work for a non-profit? They take all the help they can get."
Well excuse me for having a dream while the rest of the world wants me to put my head down and work a job doing menial tasks for the next 10 years. Maybe I just should.

0 comments:


 

Photobucket

Original Blogger Template | Modified by Blogger-Whore | Distributed by eBlog Templates