Lucky 9

Not too long after I posted that blog last Thursday, I applied for just one more job. I've been battling with this "to intern or not intern because I'm not an intern anymore" dilemma. I applied for one last internship. The description said they needed someone to do data entry fast. I'm your girl.

3 hours later, they called asking me to come in for an interview. I said I'd come in the next day, and less than 24 hours later, found myself waiting for the elevator in their office building. The receptionist was nice and brought me into the conference room to meet with the director of sales. The guy had never even seen my resume. I handed him a copy, he sat down with a half smile on his face, circled a couple of things and looked up at me.
He asked me about one of my past internships (3 of 8). "What made you so important there?" "Why were you 'head intern'?" "Why did you have all these responsibilities and no one else did?" I used the fact that he thought/knew I was some kind of gem to my full advantage. He said the job involved 3 parts--2 of which I love, marketing & writing. I kind of felt like I was selling myself short, taking an internship when I have mounting student loans to pay off. I found out during the interview that everyone that works at the company starts out this way, and they pay a weekly stipend. Nothing crazy, but enough to buy groceries. I told him it was definitely something I was interested in it. All he said was, "Okay. See you Monday then, come casual." and walked out of the conference room.
I walked out of that building feeling elated. And as I walked the many blocks home from the subway with the rain beating down on me I felt, for the first time, that I am going to be okay.

0 comments:


 

Photobucket

Original Blogger Template | Modified by Blogger-Whore | Distributed by eBlog Templates